Free Remote Learning Opportunities & Information
With such an abundance of resources out there dedicated to learning from home, parents have access to plenty of support to ensure their children have opportunities to continue to learn and grow while schools remain closed during the COVID-19 outbreak. Sorting through the content can be a challenge so we wanted to share the following resources to help you and your children transition to remote learning.
Keep to a routine that emphasizes learning.
- Work with your child(ren) to create a schedule
- Encourage reading every day
- Emphasize literacy and numeracy but remember learning should be fun
- Limit tablets, phones, and TV during the day
- Support child-led learning and give your child some autonomy
But that doesn’t mean the whole day has to be about replicating school.
- Don’t expect children to work non-stop
- Endorse regular movement breaks and make the most of outdoor space
- Let your child get bored; that’s when creativity happens
Maintaining positive mental health is key.
- Help facilitate opportunities for virtual connection with others
- Prioritize your child’s well-being…and don’t forget your own
- Bond with your child; quality time reinforces learning time
- Praise children’s efforts and behavior, not their achievements
General Education Providers and Resources
Khan Academy: World-renowned, non-profit, remote-learning platform for pre-K through high school students offering video tutorials, exercises, and software that will adapt to students’ needs. Prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, the site had over 18 million users per month and that number has since doubled.
Education Resources by Subject
Disclaimer: these resources are not an endorsement of any content or curriculum.