In 2019, we made a lot of progress towards our vision of building public education systems to prepare every student to succeed in the competitive global economy and contribute to their local community. Now, we’re excited to share with you highlights from inside our annual report!
America Succeeds was founded with a vision of building public education systems to prepare every student to succeed in the competitive global economy and contribute to their local community. Within the network, our affiliates have been making tremendous progress in improving state policies in many areas, from increased funding and access to early childhood education, critical supports for literacy, expanding opportunities for advanced coursework, dual-enrollment credits, and work-based learning.
- Aligned continues to grow its membership and exponentially grew its impact in new annual funding for Pre-K in both Kansas and Missouri.
- Arkansas Learns successfully supported the transition, opening, expansion, and approval of open-enrollment public charter schools.
- BEST NC expanded the state’s Advanced Teaching Roles pilot program to additional districts and advocated for significant principal salary increases.
- Colorado Succeeds went beyond policy and into the field to support 8 early adopters in their implementation efforts via the Homegrown Talent Initiative.
- Idaho Business for Education’s Trustee Member, HP Inc., conducted one of the most extensive studies of Idaho’s education system in the state’s history and made recommendations for the state.
- Oklahoma Achieves brought on its new executive director, Ryan Walters and created an ambitious policy agenda for 2020.
- We collaborated with Empower Illinois to engage business leaders around the expansion of a tax-credit scholarship program and CTE program providers.
- We hosted NewMexicoKidsCAN, a state senator, and a government affairs leader to meet with some education influencers here in Colorado focused on developing school-level financial transparency legislation for New Mexico.
Throughout 2019, our team traveled to each of our affiliate states to produce customized videos about the work of each affiliate focused on improving education.
Between the passionate interviews, numerous blooper takes, and countless miles of highway traveled by the crew, one incredible story emerged. We often focus on the economic imperative of building a skilled and reliable talent pipeline; yet it is the moral imperative that engages such a broad collection of stakeholders in making an impact for students across the country.
Check out the playlist of videos on YouTube.
Events & Initiatives
America Succeeds hosted its sixth annual EDventure Summit in Boise, Idaho from September 11th through 13th with nearly 100 participants from across the country.
View the entire EDventure recap on our blog here.
Age of Agility
America Succeeds began 2019 with the final events of the Age of Agility National Tour in New Jersey and Washington, DC. After convening more than 1,200 stakeholders – including governors offices, businesses, chambers of commerce, educators, policy and advocacy organizations, and community leaders – we emerged with a strong coalition of partners and a shared vision of supporting and expanding concentrations of agile learners, agile systems, and agile educators.
We are looking forward to continuing the Agility Initiative in 2020 with additional conversations, partners, and advocacy efforts like the Agility Alliance.
Learn more about the Agility Alliance here.
Social-Emotional Learning Initiative
This past fall, America Succeeds took a deeper dive into how schools can help students develop the critical skills that so many current workers are missing. We are excited about the potential of social-emotional learning, the role it plays in preparing students for the future of work, and the positive results it can yield for learners and employers alike.
We are excited about the potential of social-emotional learning, the role it plays in preparing students for the future of work, and the positive results it can yield for learners and employers alike.
Download our social-emotional learning resources here.
We’re excited to share the full 2019 annual report, showcasing the amazing work of our affiliate partners and highlighting America Succeeds’ national initiatives. As always, we appreciate your engagement and support.